Since #ggo12 I’ve moved my game’s repo to a new location so that the old version and contest fork stay intact while we work on new features and content.
In the latest version, the gameplay remains the same, but we’ve added new content and features that will help us produce the kind of experience that combines old-school gaming with kungfu cinema story telling and modern web technology.
Some of the updates include:
- New 2D map system with depth and height for floors and walls
- Layer and Z sorting to keep everybody where they belong
- Characters can climb steps and walls and fall from elevated planes
- Narrative scenes using the game engine’s camera and sprites
- Maps and scenes use JSON data and images that can be setup and exported from Adobe Flash timeline
Play the new demo
The game demo, titled “Duel of the Devs”, is an HTML5 web based game that runs in modern browsers on desktops and mobile devices. All rendering is done using a single canvas element. This is important because I want to be able to use WebGL in the future, or explore other platform and graphic options that do not rely on the DOM.
In the game, you play a fighting monk who must defeat a ninja and his shadow clones. The real ninja runs around cloning himself. His clones will turn to a puff of smoke if hit once, or if the original is defeated. The ninja can take a few hits before going down which ends the game. There are some credits to wrap up the experience.
I have to thank my love Sun for the awesome character design and animation. You can read more about what we used and download the full source code here.